I found this today
Then passed it on to my girl pack
I LOVE THIS and totally agree with the guy who wrote it. The amount of damage that I have seen idle chatter and small minded interferrance do over the years breaks my heart.
I have a fairly common conversations with people in my world (not the girl pack). They get angry with me all the time because I don’t pry into other people’s worlds. Things they have gotten angry about very recently because I won’t ask:
- The last name of someone I have met – They didn’t volunteer it so I’m not going to ask. We had a conversation not a relationship.
- How much an aquantance gets paid – Seriously not mine nor your business.
- What happened to end someones relationship – Even if I do know I’m not telling you.
- The possibility that someone I know has a secret half-brother that another man is calling son – Why would I even consider asking that one?
I’m not naturally nosey.
On the odd occation I become overly curious I will tell someone that my question is very nosey and to tell me to bugger off if they don’t wish to answer it and I won’t be offended.
An example of this nosiness was very recent and still unsatisfied: Recently a house in my wee town was rammed by a car. It reversed at speed into the lounge, drove out and then reversed back in again, 3 TIMES! IN BROAD DAYLIGHT! I have a sneaking suspision that this was not an accident. Now something has obviously gone really wrong here and I am dying to find out what but not for the reasons the rest of the town wants to know. I’m seriously curious to find out what would cause someones brain to skip a beat and think this would be a good idea, great revenge or that they won’t find themselves in a powerful amount of trouble with the boys in blue and owing a ton of money in court fees and insurance claims. Honestly I really am curious about that. I would class this type of curriosity as educational. It would help with future endeavours to know where a tipping point might be so that you could pop yourself into a time out before undertaking a mamothly stupid endeavour that could result in the long term wearing of stripey pyjamas.
I point this out as I am not perfect, nor do I try to portray myself to be. I am, in fact, the complete opposite being as I am clumsy and suffer from ADHD so I have the attention span of a flea hoped up on cat juice and thats before you get to my abilty to swear like a streetfighter and drink like I’m the only person supporting the industry. Not asking rude or prying questions is not a sign of disintrest or a lack of empathy on my part. Its a sign of respect. I don’t ask questions because its just not my business and I respect your privacy.
That doesn’t mean that I’m not interested. My door is always open and there is always coffee or wine if needed to go along with the shoulder and the tissues. Those that know me know that they can trust me becuase I ain’t telling anyone squat about other peoples business. I sometimes even forget to tell my husband the bits that do concern him like that time I forgot to mention that the police were looking for our son. It was just as a witness after a fight at a party but it gave my husband a wee scare answering the door after loud arguements with then teenage daughter.
So some rules we could all live by
- If you have to start a sentence with ‘I don’t mean to be rude but . . .’ then stop talking. You are about to be deliberately rude and that’s not ok. EVER
- It’s their journey you will have to ask them. I’m not going to tell you anything about anybody elses issues, mis-adventures or challenges past, present or future. If you want to know you can ask them yourself and they can tell you.
- Don’t be judgey. There are way to many people in this world that think they have the right to an opinion on what others do. Unless they are directly impacting on you by getting stoned and playing death metal at 3.30 every Wednesday morning then you have no judgey rights.
- Share only the positives. Praising someones achievements and spreading the gossip of the good deeds is always ok. Where would the world be if we didn’t get holiday evny from someone elses cool adventures 🙂 my bucket list grows every time someone goes away.
What do you all think? Do you have any rules that I should add?